|Target Region:||Japan, International|
.okinawa is a proposed new gTLD being applied for in ICANN's new gTLD program. Two entities, BusinessRalliart Inc. and GMO Registry, both originally announced intentions to apply for the extension. Both entities also declared intentions to apply for .ryukyu as well. Furthermore, both companies are included in a list of 4 Japanese companies that received approval from the Government of Osaka to apply and run .osaka.
In the end, only BusinessRalliart applied for .okinawa.
Okinawa is a southern Prefecture in Japan, and it is a major part of the Ryukyu chain of islands.
- ↑ Japan Gets Two new geo TLD projects, DomainIncite.com
- ↑ News Article, GMO.jp
- ↑ Four Companies Given Ok for Osaka, DomainIncite.com
- ↑ Japans First GeoTLD Announcement Ryukyu Okina, UrbanBrain.Posterous.com
- ↑ Okinawa Prefecture, en.Wikipedia.org
- ↑ Donuts Portfolio Swells as ICANN Signs 31 New gTLD Contracts, DomainIncite Retrieved 06 Dec 2013