Mason Cole is the Vice President of Communications and Industry Relations at Donuts, a start-up gTLD registry company based in Washington. He has been with Donuts since May 1, 2012. He is involved in the RrSG and is part of the GNSO Council.
Mason was previously the Vice President of Communications and Industry Relations for Oversee.net. He joined SnapNames, a subsidiary of Oversee, in 2001 and left in September, 2011. He was responsible for the company's public relations and communications for its five operating divisions, its relationship with ICANN, and for handling matters with regulatory agencies and international governments. Mason also directed the company’s intellectual property interests. He has successfully secured patents in the United States, Canada and China.
Cole is also the former Chair of the Registrar Stakeholder Group, and a board member of the Internet Commerce Association. He is currently representing the Registrar Stakeholder Group on the GNSO. Cole has also been the Editor and Publisher of the the State of the Domain industry analysis newsletter.
In a letter dated December 8th, 2011, Mason Cole, along with twenty-seven other domain name industry representatives, wrote to Sen. Jay Rockefeller and Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchison to support ICANN's new gTLD program, in response to the Senate Hearings taking place on the same day. They supported ICANN's argument that the program would be innovative and economically beneficial, and noted that the program took a diverse group of international stakeholders years to develop. The letter can be found here.
Mason's previous experience includes marketing and public relations responsibilities in the financial services and technology industries.
- Principal at 5x5 Communications LLC (September 2011 – May 2012)
- Vice President at Oversee.net (July 2001 – September 2011)
- Partner at New Venture Communications (March 1999 – July 2001)
- Director of Communications at Crabbe Huson Group/Crabbe Huson Mutual Funds (October 1996)
- Editor, Emerging Science and Technology at Forum Publications (November 1995 – March 1996)
- Marketing Representative at American Century Investments (November 1994 – June 1995)
Mason received his BA in Communications and Political Science from Drury University in 1990.
Mason was interviewed at ICANN 44 in Prague:
- ↑ Donuts Launches Domain Namespace Expansion With 207 gTLD Applications, More Than $100 Million in Funding
- ↑ GNSO Council Retrieved 20 Sept 2013
- ↑ RrSG Staff
- ↑ Dyn VP Gray Chynoweth Voted ICANN RrSG Chair, dyn.com
- ↑ New gTLD industry pleads with senators, domainincite.com