|Email:||George.Sadowsky [at] nyu.edu|
George Sadowsky is an American computer scientist who has worked in a variety of positions related to the international promotion of the Internet. He is a current Director of ICANN, elected in 2009 and serving until 2012, and is also currently the head of the CEO Search Committee. He served on ICANN's NomCom from 2005-2007, and was an adviser to NomCom's chair in 2008. He has also been heavily involved with ISOC.
George Sadowsky received his Ph.D. in Economics from Yale, he later studied and taught mathematics at Harvard.
At the United Nations, he supported technical assistance projects and has worked in more than 50 developing countries. He has been a consultant to the U.S. Treasury, UNDP, USAID, W3C, the Swiss Government, and World Bank. He has served on Boards of AppliedTheory Corporation, educational networks CREN and NYSERNet, and ISOC where he directed its Developing Country Network Training Workshops. More recently, he was Executive Director of GIPI, the Global Internet Policy Initiative. He has written and lectured extensively on ICT and Internet development, and his presentations are listed on his website.
George Sadowsky lists his current positions on his website, and they are:
- Member, Board of Directors, ICANN, 2009-2012
- Consultant, WF (World Wide Web Foundation) program on use of the mobile web for society
- Adjunct staff member, Center for Democracy and Technology
- Participant, United Nations Advisory Group on the Use of the Internet for Terrorism
- Member, President's Council for Information Technologies, Office of the President, Sofia, Bulgaria
- Member, Advisory Body, Pakistan Domain Name Dispute Resolution Center
- Member, Board of Advisers, Bridge to Asia
- Member, the Association for Computing Machinery and the Internet Society.
- Reviewer for project and fellowship proposals for various organizations.
George Sadowsky also lists an extensive list of his past career engagements on his website, some of which include:
- Organizer and chair, "Issues Regarding the Mobile Internet," Internet Governance Forum, Sharm el Sheikh, Egypt, December 2009.
- Member, Public Interest Registry Advisory Council, 2008-2009.
- Vice-Chair, Economic Opportunities Commission, World Information Technology Forum (WITFOR) 2009.
- Member, Panel of Advisers, U.N. Global Alliance for ICT and Development (G@ID), 2006-2009.
- Member, Board of Directors, PEOPLink, 2003-2008.
- Member of the Board of Trustees of the ISOC, 1996-1999 and 2000-2004. Member, Elections Committee 2001-2003, Audit Committee 2002-2003, Chair, Nominations Committee 1997-1998 and 2003-2004. Chair, Elections Committee, 2004-2005.
- Member, Steering Committee, Markle Foundation and UNDP's Global Digital Opportunity Initiative.
- Vice President for Education, ISOC, 1998-2001.
- Vice President for Conferences, ISOC, 1995-1998.
- Member, Program Committee, 1997 Telecomm Asia, International Telecommunications Union.